Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Uncanny
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:35 pm 

From a story in USA Todayabout Atlantic Monthly writer William Langewiesche:<p>Right after the Sept. 11 attack, Langewiesche flew from his home in California to New York to scope out the scene and put in a special request: total access to the recovery and removal site for a three-part piece in Monthly.

Astonishingly, as if some guardian angel of journalism were watching over him and the magazine, his request went to Ken Holden, a New York City administrator with considerable clout at the site.<p>***Bowls me right over. Clearly, God Himself had a hand in that.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Uncanny
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:01 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
From a story in USA Todayabout Atlantic Monthly writer William Langewiesche:<p>***Bowls me right over. Clearly, God Himself had a hand in that.***<hr></blockquote><p>
Why do disasters seem to wipe out all critical thinking within a 10-mile radius? <p>You know that cross-shaped wreckage that they found at the World Trade Center site? <p>I have no problem with the fact that some people of faith found consolation in that symbol. People needed all the consolation they could get. <p>But it seemed strange that some insisted on it being divine intervention. Assuming that 99% of the crossbeams in the buildings were cross-shaped, what are the odds? <p>I find it disturbing to think that a Supreme Being would be thinking something like: "Let's see, I could either avert this terrible disaster and keep 3000 people from a horrible death ... or ... Hmm, I could make a cross appear in the wreckage to console them. But of course, the Jewish victims wouldn't get it ..." <p>I wish that hack journalists would at least go interview some hack theologian instead of coming up with this weird stuff on their own.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]