Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: And a nation rises up as one
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:21 am 

SAN FRANCISCO … Provoking a nation's patriotic
fury, a San Francisco federal appeals court on Wednesday banned the pledge of allegiance from
public schools in California and eight other Western states, saying one of the country's most treasured classroom rituals is unconstitutional
because it includes the words "under God." (Knight Ridder)<p>***That's telling them."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: And a nation rises up as one
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:26 pm 

SAN FRANCISCO (AP)--A day after he flabbergasted the nation by declaring the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional, a federal appeals
court judge put his ruling on hold indefinitely Thursday.<p>***OK, let's knock it off. "Flabbergasted," my ass.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:11 am 

It should go without saying, but the appeals court panel did not say the Pledge of Allegiance was "unconstitutional."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:42 am 

Are you objecting to "flabbergasted" because you don't like the word or because you think it's too extreme? Trust me, out here in the heartland, we're flabbergasted. (My Webster's says it means "overwhelmed with astonishment.")<p> :confused:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:00 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pampellfw:
Are you objecting to "flabbergasted" because you don't like the word or because you think it's too extreme? Trust me, out here in the heartland, we're flabbergasted. (My Webster's says it means "overwhelmed with astonishment.")
<hr></blockquote><p>***I think that a nation that has seen airliners crash into the World Trade Center needs more than a 9th Circuit appeals court ruling to overwhelm it with astonishment.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:01 am 

It was common to drop the words '"under God'' during the daily recitation way back in the '70s. And I went to Catholic school ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:05 am 

"one of the country's most treasured classroom rituals"???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:26 pm 

I don't doubt that some people are flabbergasted by this ruling, but my guess is that the country is not as worked up over this as the media is. Whether you agree with it or not, this decision was not illogical. We fanned the flames rather than provide dispassionate discourse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:54 am 

I don't know that many people are really worked up about it in the sense that it's dominating anyone's conversations, but just judging from nonjournalism bulletin boards I visit, everybody seems to have strong opinions &mdash; almost solidly negative &mdash; about the ruling. As with the flag burning rulings, it's a court decision that makes constitutional sense but arouses such an emotional response that the reasoning gets rejected.<p>[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: Finn DeSiecle ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]