Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Monopoly
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:47 am 

McDonald's, the world's largest fast-food chain, announced yesterday that it will soon start frying its foods in a different oil that will significantly reduce the most harmful type of fat in its menu.
"McDonald's clearly hopes the change in oils will help them sell more french fries, but the move is also a good thing," said Margo Wootan of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. ... "If Americans continue eating french fries at the same rate after the new oil arrives, then there will be a definite reduction in the number of blocked arteries and deaths from heart disease as a result." (Washington Post)<p>***Because, as we all know, Americans eat only McDonald's french fries.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Monopoly
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:58 pm 

"McDonald's clearly hopes the change in oils will help them sell more french fries, but the move is also a good thing." <p>Not to sound unduly right-wing here, but why does the "Center for Science in the Public Interest" always seem to be sending the signal that large companies are evil for wanting to sell any products that aren't organic veggies? I'm no fan of modern big-business practices in general, but the CSPI gets ridiculous. If its true concern were about what we consume, it'd be going after cooking-oil manufacturers, considering that there are probably about a million non-chain restaurants out there whose fried products are no "healthier" (and probably less so) than McD's.<p>Sorry to rant; just seems to me that anymore, every story that quotes the CSPI makes me wince. Maybe AP should apply its style on labeling groups ("the liberal-leaning Brookings Institution," "the libertarian Cato Institute") here too: "the CSPI, an alarmist, anti-business nanny group..." (But hey, I'm evil too. I even SMOKE! :eek: )

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Monopoly
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:59 pm 

There was no reason to call that organization for "comment." Likewise, there is no reason to call the NRA every time you do a story on gun control, or the Right-to-Life Committee and NARAL every time you do one on abortion. Such "comments" rarely add anything of value and are included only to satisfy someone's childish idea of "balance."

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]