Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anybody have this dictionary?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:26 pm 
From this week's Time magazine story on singer Faith Hill:<p>"By definition, a diva is a rampaging female ego redeemed only in part by a lovely voice. It's hard to imagine why anyone would want to be one, but a new generation of female talent appears to be weirdly enamored of the word and the idea."<p>I've checked nine dictionaries so far, and none of them give a definition ANYTHING like this ....

Post subject: Re: Anybody have this dictionary?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:20 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
From this week's Time magazine story on singer Faith Hill:<p>"By definition, a diva is a rampaging female ego redeemed only in part by a lovely voice. It's hard to imagine why anyone would want to be one, but a new generation of female talent appears to be weirdly enamored of the word and the idea."<p>I've checked nine dictionaries so far, and none of them give a definition ANYTHING like this ....<hr></blockquote><p>it's a slow saturday at work, so ... <p>this entails a degree or two of separation, and challenges the term "By definition" in the badly written example ... but, from the online OED, we have this:<p>DIVA
[It. diva goddess, lady-love, ‘fine lady’: L. d va goddess, female divinity, fem. of d vus divine, god, deity.]
A distinguished female singer, a prima donna. <p>PRIMA DONNA
1. The first or principal female singer in an opera. Also prima donna assoluta [It., lit. = absolute], a prima donna of outstanding excellence.
2. transf. and fig. A person of the highest standing in a particular field or activity; one who behaves in a self-important or temperamental manner. <p>Given how little most Americans know about opera, the second definition became better known and more frequently used -- at least by folks of a certain age. That seems to be changing, though, with the pejorative connotation fading.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:36 pm 
Well, that's as big a stretch as Anna Nicole Smith trying to fit into her high school cheerleader's outfit ... but I'll buy it. Nice bit o' research, by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:27 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
Well, that's as big a stretch as Anna Nicole Smith trying to fit into her high school cheerleader's outfit ... but I'll buy it. Nice bit o' research, by the way.<hr></blockquote><p>You're too generous, Jim. It's way too much of a stretch, and I'm not buying it a minute. You were right to question's Time's illiteracy in the first place.<p>Wayne, I too give you give you credit for putting your down time at work to good use. (Better use than I usually would under the same circumstances!) But the OED perhaps wasn't the best source. The familiar Webster's dictionary of American English doesn't support this "prima donna/diva" connection one bit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:57 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Kirchherr:
<p>But the OED perhaps wasn't the best source. The familiar Webster's dictionary of American English doesn't support this "prima donna/diva" connection one bit.<hr></blockquote><p>Right. I don't rely on the OED as a reference on the job or at home -- was just killing time, and that was the first dictionary I checked other than the Webster's New World Collegiate on my office desk.<p>For what it's worth, the New Oxford American Dictionary skips "prima donna" and goes straight to defining a "diva" as one of those unpleasant female singers.<p>To me, this word is dead, except for stories about opera.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:50 am 

Left unsaid is that any hack who leans on the "Webster's-defines-XXX-as" crutch needs to have it kicked out from under him or her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:41 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dmfugitive:
Left unsaid is that any hack who leans on the "Webster's-defines-XXX-as" crutch needs to have it kicked out from under him or her.<hr></blockquote><p>Good point.<p>In fact, perhaps AP should just stop using Webster's New World College Dictionary altogether, and replace it with Webster's New World Speller/Divider. The latter certainly is smaller and cheaper. And it would be useless as a crutch to copy-editing hacks who need the definition of a word.<p>Given some of the previous threads in this forum, one can see that many copy editors are quite comfortable just making up their own definitions anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:37 pm 

Sigh. I was making a reference to writers who use "Webster's defines XXX as" -- or a variation thereof -- in their copy. That's the crutch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:04 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dmfugitive:
Sigh. I was making a reference to writers who use "Webster's defines XXX as" -- or a variation thereof -- in their copy. That's the crutch.<hr></blockquote><p>Oh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]