Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: What size 2-by-4 do you want?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:34 pm 

A [name of device withheld to prevent writer's embarrassment] is about the size of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What size 2-by-4 do you want?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:07 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
A [name of device withheld to prevent writer's embarrassment] is about the size of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.<hr></blockquote><p>that's a very flat device

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:37 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
A [name of device withheld to prevent writer's embarrassment] is about the size of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.<hr></blockquote><p>This may be funny only to me, but a 2-by-4 is not actually 2 inches deep nor 4 inches wide. It's closer to 1.75-by-3.5.<p>Also, what gives? I thought embarrassing writers was a worthy aim. Bring it on.<p>[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Tim Hathcock ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:41 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tim Hathcock:
<p> I thought embarrassing writers was a worthy aim.
<hr></blockquote><p>It is, but in a rare seizure of "fairness" I draw the line at ridiculing writers for lines that were not published.<p>[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:25 pm 

<p>It is, but in a rare seizure of "fairness" I draw the line at ridiculing writers for lines that were not published.<p>[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]<hr></blockquote><p>That's all well and good, but now you have left me in the position of spending my time trying to figure out what went in the blank instead of editing my story!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:23 pm 

I'm with Susan. If we don't know the writer, how can it be embarrassing to know the name of the device?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:49 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KfitzR:
I'm with Susan. If we don't know the writer, how can it be embarrassing to know the name of the device?<hr></blockquote><p>My God! Leave the poor kid alone! (The device isn't written about very often so it would be easy to pinpoint the writer on Nexis.)<p>That's the last time I try being nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:40 pm 

<p>My God! Leave the poor kid alone! (The device isn't written about very often so it would be easy to pinpoint the writer on Nexis.)<p>That's the last time I try being nice.<hr></blockquote><p>I must be missing something, because I can't for the life of me figure out what would be so embarrassing. But that's just me.<p>[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: SusanV ]</p>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:28 am 

I'm still with Susan.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]