Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bad headline pun of the week (so far)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:20 pm 

Do heds on Web sites count? If so, the New York Racing Association has a beauty of a bad one on its site today.<p>The story is about a horse named Uriah, who made up a lot of ground (that's called "closing" in racing terms) to win the feature race:<p>Voila (or, as my paper once had in a hammerhed on the features page, "Viola!"):<p>Uriah closes a heap to win feature<p>Great. I'm a testy old Deadhead who doesn't remember much of anything, but does anyone actually remember Uriah Heep anymore? Or did anyone ever care about them at all?<p>I'd better watch myself. The bass player has probably been on the rim somewhere for the past 20 years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bad headline pun of the week (so far)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:52 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
... does anyone actually remember Uriah Heep anymore?<hr></blockquote><p>If they read Dickens, then yes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:19 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dmfugitive:
<p>If they read Dickens, then yes.<hr></blockquote><p>
Surely you jest. Two of my kids are in college, and I am sure neither of them ever heard of Dickens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:58 am 

The dickens, you say!
Sorry. I had to.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:02 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KfitzR:
The dickens, you say!
Sorry. I had to.
<hr></blockquote><p>Please show some restraint in this company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:04 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>I'd better watch myself. The bass player has probably been on the rim somewhere for the past 20 years.[/QB]<hr></blockquote><p>He may well be. The original bassist, Paul Newton, quit the band in 1971 and, after a decade of session and backup work and occasional bar dates, got tired of the music business and dropped out. He told a fanzine interviewer from Holland who tracked him down in 1993, "I was obviously not born to be a rock star."<p>The band was still around in the late 1990's, having changed lineups about two dozen times over the years and by that time possessing only one original member, Mick Box. It has an active web site.<p>Well, you brought it up...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]