Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: The British are different
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:58 pm 

From a Columbia Journalism Review article
about war coverage:
"On a Thursday in mid-October, the Guardian had sixteen pages of coverage, the Times and the Mirror fifteen, the Sun and Daily Mail nine each. Most of that coverage was staff-written, though it's hard to be precise because British papers typically use wire service material without attribution." <p>***A British-trained editor once was astonished that I would not use a quotation from another newspaper without stating its source explicitly. "Once it's published, it's fair game," he said in all seriousness. I have seen a remarkable willingness by editors from Canada, where newspapers are more like British papers than American, to lift material from other publications without attribution and/or permission. These editors should understand that while such practices might be acceptable in their home countries, they are not in the U.S. newspaper business.
The very different standards, ethics and philosophies of editors trained in the British tradition but running U.S. newspapers is a subject ripe for exploration. Has any U.S. newspaper under the control of British, Australian or Canadian editors, ever enjoyed long-term success? I don't know. I can't think of any.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]