Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do not use
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:45 pm 

Boston Cardinal Law Deposed in Child Sex Abuse Case (Reuters)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Do not use
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:28 am 

Law Deposed in Pedophilia Case <p>***Ha! What bush-league newspaper used a "Law Deposed" headline after such fair warning? Ha-ha. Oh. Oops.***<p>[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:51 am 

OK, I'll be the dumb hick Hoosier out here and say "I don't get either of those." Law Deposed is awkward, but that's as much because of "deposed" as of "Law." Please explain. :confused:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 12:01 pm 

A much better hed would be:<p>Cardinal Law posed in pedophilia case

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 12:52 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
Boston Cardinal Law Deposed in Child Sex Abuse Case (Reuters)<hr></blockquote>
Guess which exact headline I saw in my own newspaper today?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:47 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pampellfw:
OK, I'll be the dumb hick Hoosier out here and say "I don't get either of those." Law Deposed is awkward, but that's as much because of "deposed" as of "Law." Please explain. :confused: <hr></blockquote><p>The most widely used meaning of "depose" is "to remove from office or a position of power." If that had happened, the story would not have been on Page 2.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 2:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>The most widely used meaning of "depose" is "to remove from office or a position of power." If that had happened, the story would not have been on Page 2.<hr></blockquote><p>Maybe I've been in Washington too long, but IMO its use in the legal sense, as here, is just as common. It certainly didn't strike me as misunderstandable in context!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 3:10 pm 

Seems to me that the headline can be taken either of two ways -- and that's not good.<p>I seldom like heds that require reading the story to get the context necessary to know what the hed means. Not everyone reads beyond the headline. And those who do don't like to be surprised to learn that they took it the wrong way.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
<p>Maybe I've been in Washington too long, but IMO its use in the legal sense, as here, is just as common. It certainly didn't strike me as misunderstandable in context!<hr></blockquote>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]