Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Let's get started on the layout!
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:20 am 

NEW YORK -- The New York Times is gearing up for another major investigative project that Executive Editor Howell Raines believes could rival the 15-part series on race that brought home a Pulitzer Prize for national reporting in 2001. Two months ago, Raines sent a memo to the entire editorial staff seeking ideas for a multipart series, which drew about 200 responses.<p>A newsroom committee created to review the ideas has whittled them down to a "handful," Raines told E&P, and the topic will be chosen in coming weeks. "They include, in some cases, familiar themes like health care and some others that I don't want to get into," he said. "The subject matter will dictate the scope."
But Raines predicted that the project would likely be at least a five-part report, and possibly could match the 15 parts that the race series spanned. (Editor & Publisher)<p>***Have I gone mad or is Raines doing things a little out of order?***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Let's get started on the layout!
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:40 pm 

Why do you assume the two are mutually exclusive?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:11 pm 

The reason for doing these overdone projects,
of course, is to win Pulitzers. Readers will
tend to pass 'em over, but Pulitzer judges will bite. Only hasn't Raines and his paper won enough
of those already?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:26 pm 

P.S. -- There may be a larger sense of method
to the madness blanp suspects on Raines' part.
Has anything he's done flopped, really? (Aside from "Portraits of Grief," at least?) Is there
a readily identifiable part of the paper that's
declined since Raines took over? <p>The only part of the paper I see in serious decline is the editorial page, and Raines doesn't
edit it anymore. Giving that up was the price of becoming editor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:21 am 

News travels slowly, at least to me, sometimes. I just learned that Howell Raines booted Andrew Sullivan out of the New York Times Magazine. That more than offsets Raines's planning for a Pulitizer Prize.<p>[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:00 pm 

Why it's been the main topic of one
"blog" after another for a few days
now. Which I guess says something about
the relevance of blogs. 'Course this
isn't blanp's blog, is it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:58 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
NEW YORK -- The New York Times is gearing up for another major investigative project that Executive Editor Howell Raines believes could rival the 15-part series on race that brought home a Pulitzer Prize for national reporting in 2001. Two months ago, Raines sent a memo to the entire editorial staff seeking ideas for a multipart series, which drew about 200 responses.<p>A newsroom committee created to review the ideas has whittled them down to a "handful," Raines told E&P, and the topic will be chosen in coming weeks. "They include, in some cases, familiar themes like health care and some others that I don't want to get into," he said. "The subject matter will dictate the scope."
But Raines predicted that the project would likely be at least a five-part report, and possibly could match the 15 parts that the race series spanned. (Editor & Publisher)<p>***Have I gone mad or is Raines doing things a little out of order?***
<hr></blockquote>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:59 pm 

First time at the new site - a major improvement.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 1:11 am 

Location: A compromise between Man's Euclidean determinations and Nature's beguiling irregularities.
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jmcg:
The reason for doing these overdone projects,
of course, is to win Pulitzers. Readers will
tend to pass 'em over, but Pulitzer judges will bite. Only hasn't Raines and his paper won enough
of those already?
<hr></blockquote><p>Aren't Pulitzer judges the only people who actually read the Times?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 10:05 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Drew4AU:
<p>Aren't Pulitzer judges the only people who actually read the Times?<hr></blockquote><p>No, Drew. Lots of people read the paper,
for this reason among others: Flaws, pretense and meaningless prizes and all, it's still without question the best paper in the country.<p>You sound rather like Cole Campbell, at least to me, when you pose questions like that. And,
no, that's not something you should want to do.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]