Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Let me explain ....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:13 pm 

Gary Marx , a Chicago Tribune correspondent, on what he did after learning that an "independent journalist" he recently profiled was really a Cuban agent:<p>I immediately called my editor from Bogota, and we agreed that I needed to write a story. The question is what format to use. We felt that it's not really a news story but a more personal one that deals with the complex reality of life in Cuba. And by making it personal we felt that we could better tackle the issue head on. (Chicago Reader)<p>***What format to use? For a correction? We certainly don't need a personal story about how a reporter got hoodwinked.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Let me explain ....
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:27 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
We felt that it's not really a news story but a more personal one that deals with the complex reality of life in Cuba. And by making it personal we felt that we could better tackle the issue head on. (Chicago Reader)[/i]<p><hr></blockquote><p>Marx's story is running in my section sunday. It's a good one, terse but sad, about figuring out whom to trust in such slippery situations... and about being such a dumb American that you underestimate what you're up against... and about how even the great chicago tribune can be duped. AND be big enough to fess up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:13 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by catwoman:
<p>Marx's story is running in my section sunday. It's a good one, terse but sad, about figuring out whom to trust in such slippery situations... and about being such a dumb American that you underestimate what you're up against... and about how even the great chicago tribune can be duped. AND be big enough to fess up.<hr></blockquote><p>Who cares? Just correct the error and move on. Anything more is rationalizing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:50 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:

Who cares? Just correct the error and move on. Anything more is rationalizing.
<hr></blockquote><p>might be worth reading; sounds as if it was done the only way that could make it worthwhile.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:28 pm 

Yeah, but of interest to who. It'd be best suited in CJR or AJR, but I wouldn't run it in my newspaper, mostly because we need the space for other stories.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:24 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JonScribe:
Yeah, but of interest to who. It'd be best suited in CJR or AJR, but I wouldn't run it in my newspaper, mostly because we need the space for other stories.<hr></blockquote><p>waiting to read it before i judge it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:17 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wayne Countryman:
<p>waiting to read it before i judge it<hr></blockquote><p>I'm not judging the story, which for all I know is splendidly written. I'm judging the idea behind the story, which is fatally flawed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:40 am 

ok, i wouldn't bet the house (and i rent) that this will be a winner, but i disagree that it's impossible to write a worthwhile piece on the subject to fit into a major metro's Sunday thumb-sucker section.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:36 am 

ummm, just read the story/column/mea culpa/whatever in the Sunday paper after expressing hope here for a few days that it would work. <p>www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/perspective/<p>(online headline is "False Pretenses"; Tribune requires registration to view even recent stories.)<p>Writing about reporting is difficult to do well. Publications and the public might be better off if everyone knew how a reporter worked -- when the reporting is accurate, and perhaps more so when it hasn't been. <p>But unless the tale is compelling, the result will be boring and even annoying. <p>The reporter is to be commended, if beating oneself up in public is worthwhile. But I wonder how many readers learned much about Cuba or reporting from this. Or care any more about either.<p>-----------------------------------------<p>went to the Chi Trib archives and read previous stories by the reporter, including the mea culpa.
found a fairly good piece on Cuba after Castro. having read the story that led to the mea culpa i can see:
1. how someone in his position could be taken in by the Cuban.
2. that he leaves his footprints in stories.<p>when the reporter wasn't writing about himself in the mea culpa, he imparted a knowledge of Cuba's subtleties not shown in his stories. more about the subtleties and less about himself would improve his stories.<p>yeah, a correction would have sufficed.<p>[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: Wayne Countryman ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:31 am 

I often speak in whispers now and obscure my real views even at home, knowing that someone else may be listening. I obsess about things I have said and people I have interviewed, wondering who they really were and whether they were wearing that mask.
The challenge now is to find my bearings in the post-Orrio Cuba.
<p>***The Tribune regrets the error.***

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]