Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: I'd rather attend a Poynter seminar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:48 am 

In my New World Order, there will be no such thing as the White House Correspondents Association Dinner.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I'd rather attend a Poynter seminar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:51 pm 

first I was gonna say "fer crissakes Blanchard can't people have some fun?"<p>Then I clicked on the link, then I read. Now I want to start throwing mudpies. <p>That thing sounds like a bash Pravda would throw for the Central Committee.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:36 pm 

Awfully hard to convince people that the media isn't in the pocket of government and big business with flagrant ass-kissing and fawning like this going on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:46 am 

What I tell people when I hear them complain about the media: "oh, it's not as bad as you think.It's actually much worse."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:45 am 

Ah, yes. I remember those state dinners at the White House. Or, more precisely, I remember the guest lists for said state dinners. Many folks who called themselves journalists on those lists. Mostly from TV and places like the NY Times and Washington Post. Made me wonder what they did or didn't report to get that invite.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:09 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
That thing sounds like a bash Pravda would throw for the Central Committee.<hr></blockquote><p>Even Pravda could come up with a better bunch than this pathetic B-list of "such celebrities as Bo Derek, Ken Burns, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Christie Brinkley, Paula Abdul, and Molly Sims are scheduled to attend, according to a list furnished by the White House Correspondents’ Association, which hosts the event."<p>The Parliamentary Press Gallery in Ottawa does something similar. They think they are all clever and sophisticated. That is if you think rubber chicken and Canadian celebrities not big enough yet to flee to the U.S. counts as clever and sophisticated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:48 pm 

“Only the best people come to this dinner as U.S. News guests,” says editor Brian Duffy<p>I guess my invitation got lost in the mail.<p>[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: Earl ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]