Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Times have changed, right?
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:44 pm 

The Bob Ryan issue made me think of the last graf I've posted here. The grafs below come from the reprint of a Royko column from about 1966 in "Up Against It," a collection of Royko columns that has a 1967 copyright. The column is satirical, but even so, does anyone think this would make it into a paper today? [Note: The last graf I've posted here is not the end of the column. The stuff here is from the first half; none of the rest makes cracks about spouse abuse.]<p>-------------
Mrs. Tooze is nagging again. It's enough to drive a man to drink when she gets going.<p>Mrs. Tooze, of Evanston, is the president of the National Woman's Christian Temperance Union, which is an organization of ladies who nag about liquor.<p>It is one thing when a man is nagged by his own wife about drinking. Then he can reason with her until the neighbors call the police and a judge puts him under peace bond.<p>But there is no way to defend yourself against Mrs. Tooze and her fellow WCTU members.<p>You can't treat them like a wife and offer a calm, logical argument, such as: "You open your mouth once more and so help me, I'll..."
--------
[After five grafs, there's this]:
----------
Given their way, this would become a nation of sobriety and twitching nerves. They don't seem to realize that while prohibition might diminish such off-shoots of drinking as wife-beating, it could also increase husband-wife homicides.<p>As a man who lived in the flat upstairs used to say, when his wife lectured him:<p>"This bottle is your best friend. It slows down my reflexes so's I can't deliver a fatal judo chop."<p>[ May 10, 2003: Message edited by: Todd J. Behme ]<p>[ May 10, 2003: Message edited by: Todd J. Behme ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]