Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: OK, that settles it
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:34 pm 

NASA is expected to announce this week that it has proved the existence of "dark energy," a cosmic force that counteracts gravity and will keep the universe expanding forever.
The announcement will effectively demolish the theory that life will be wiped out in a "Big Crunch" when the universe collapses and should end decades of academic dispute over the forces at work on the universe. (Daily Telegraph [London])<p>***Entirely unsourced. We'll see.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: OK, that settles it
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:40 pm 

1. NASA?
2. Demolish the theory? End an academic dispute?<p>Yeah, the follow-ups on this should be fun to read.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
NASA is expected to announce this week that it has proved the existence of "dark energy," a cosmic force that counteracts gravity and will keep the universe expanding forever.
The announcement will effectively demolish the theory that life will be wiped out in a "Big Crunch" when the universe collapses and should end decades of academic dispute over the forces at work on the universe. (Daily Telegraph [London])<p>***Entirely unsourced. We'll see.***
<hr></blockquote>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:57 pm 

Anyway, wouldn't life be wiped out a long, long time before the Big Crunch?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:22 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
Anyway, wouldn't life be wiped out a long, long time before the Big Crunch?<hr></blockquote><p>As we know it, perhaps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:39 pm 

As suspected, the Telegraph went a bit too far.<p>http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_mm.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:31 am 

You guys missed all the Times stories that assured us the universe isflat.<p>[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Pete Zicari ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:06 am 

The image, created from a year's worth of data collected by a NASA probe 1 million miles from Earth, has solved long-standing puzzles, such as what the universe looked like right after it was forged in the violent inferno of the big bang, when the first stars blinked on in the coalescing heavens and what kind of matter makes up the expanding universe that exists today. (Washington Post)<p>***If that paragraph is true--and for all I know it is--the story should have been emblazoned across six columns with a 120-point headline.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:55 pm 

Image(Washington Post)<p>With this story ran the Ubergraphic, the graphic that makes all subsequent graphics redundant. It was pointed out to me, however, that the Big Bang looks like the "Sunny" symbol on a weather page.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:36 pm 

Three stories, competing for attention:
1. The fear of attacks and impending war in Iraq.
2. The space-shuttle accident.
3. The determination that the universe will expand forever and is 13.7 billion years ago, among other matters that have occupied the thoughts of mankind for millennia.<p> Does No. 3 make the other two essentially meaningless? Is this the End of Journalism?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:05 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
-the story should have been emblazoned across six columns with a 120-point headline.***<hr></blockquote><p>Which leaves room for Nothing matters now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:29 pm 

Plagiarism, I say. I saw that graphic, in full color, at a Grateful Dead concert at the Fillmore in 1970.<p>I'd know it anywhere.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:36 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
Three stories, competing for attention:
1. The fear of attacks and impending war in Iraq.
2. The space-shuttle accident.
3. The determination that the universe will expand forever and is 13.7 billion years ago, among other matters that have occupied the thoughts of mankind for millennia.<p> Does No. 3 make the other two essentially meaningless? Is this the End of Journalism?
<hr></blockquote><p>I don't believe any of it. All science is wrong eventually. I find that comforting, for some reason.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:40 am 

I vote for number three. The war will be here tomorrow. ... Oh, yeah, but so will the universe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:10 am 

I can see how I might be misunderstood. Please know that I'm really not joking in this thread.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:23 am 

OK, so why would this news mark the end of journalism?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:33 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hawkeye:
OK, so why would this news mark the end of journalism?<hr></blockquote><p>If the discovery has answered man's most profound questions about the origins of the universe (which, a few days later, I can say it didn't), then what would be the point of continuing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:36 am 

<p> then what would be the point of continuing?<hr></blockquote><p>I see your point, and I say with a smile: County Council. :-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]