Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: People, not cattle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:00 pm 

At least 21 people were killed and at least 50 were injured after a fight in a crowded South Side Chicago nightclub early this morning turned into a stampede, authorities said. (Chicago Tribune)<p>***Let's just say that "stampede" is a dehumanizing term.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: People, not cattle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:09 pm 

this came up about 10 years ago at the Chicago Sun-Times, but in a different context (no real panic or deaths involved, if i recall). the people who objected had a point then.<p>in today's case, tho, i think the term is defensible. perhaps people acted in an inhuman way. from the reports of witnesses, that might be the case.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:37 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:

in today's case, tho, i think the term is defensible. perhaps people acted in an inhuman way. from the reports of witnesses, that might be the case.
<hr></blockquote><p>Maybe. Maybe not. They were still human beings. It's easy and better to write it differently.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:07 pm 

I would argue that 'stampeding' is an action that can be committed by any group of confused, frightened creatures looking to escape a situation & that it's not dehumanizing. The thing that bothers me about its use in this instance is that conditions do not seem to have been conducive to stampeding anyway. A minor point, perhaps, but these poor people packed into that space did not even have room to pick up the kind of momentum that I would associate with stampeding. <p>Any suggestions, blanp, on a subsitute? Along those lines, we probably cannot classify this as a 'tragedy' unless one considers the desire to drink & dance under unsafe circumstances to be a damning character flaw. So, if one wants to write anything other than 'Accident kills 21 on S. Side,' what are our options? And I am not assuming that *you*, phil would want to write anything other than that, but *I* might.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:39 pm 

I understand blanp's point, but I, too, would like to know what the substitute for "stampede" would be. My dictionary defines stampede as "a sudden, headlong rush or flight, as of a herd of cattle." Isn't that what happened here?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:46 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
I understand blanp's point, but I, too, would like to know what the substitute for "stampede" would be. My dictionary defines stampede as "a sudden, headlong rush or flight, as of a herd of cattle." Isn't that what happened here?<hr></blockquote><p>***Apparently not.<p>Something like this would work and has a little more information than the original lead:<p>At least 21 people died in a South Side nightclub this morning, crushed and trampled as they fled in fear of a chemical spray used to stop a fight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:28 pm 

For that matter, did they truly flee *in fear*? Maybe some fled resolutely as a matter of self-preservation. Maybe some were drunk or high and exited emotionless, oblivious to the carnage. <p>The lede aside, we need to come up with a headline here, and *stampede* still applies. For the record, the city's police chief called it a stampede. Put it in quotes, if you'd like. Survivors, i would imagine, might use even more "dehumanizing" terms.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:59 pm 

I'll just cite Webster's second definition of "A confused, headlong rush or flight of a large group of people."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:49 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
For that matter, did they truly flee *in fear*? <hr></blockquote><p>I said "something like," Mr. Deliberately Provocative. <p>Stampede is out. Period.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:50 am 

Well then.<p>Something like stampede it is ...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]