Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: I believe it also is a band in 2003
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:29 pm 

By AMY FORLITI
The Associated Press
Friday, February 21, 2003; 5:04 PM <p>The '80s hard rock band Great White had just started playing Thursday night when giant pyrotechnic sparklers on stage began shooting up and ignited the ceiling above them and soundproofing near the stage.
--------
Why can't Amy simply say, "the hard-rock band Great White, nominated for a Grammy in the 1980s, ...." (or something of that order)<p>Since the band had a concert last night, I'd say it still is a band in 2003. As to whether it has many more concerts anytime soon is another matter.

Post subject: Re: I believe it also is a band in 2003
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:53 pm 

Maybe Amy wanted to differentiate between '80s hard rock and the hard rock of today. For example, Great White doesn't sound much like Limp Bizkit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:59 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dyslexic:
Maybe Amy wanted to differentiate between '80s hard rock and the hard rock of today. For example, Great White doesn't sound much like Limp Bizkit.<hr></blockquote><p>I guess I live in a shell. I never had heard of Great White. I have heard of Limp Bizkit, but couldn't identify them and wouldn't recognize its music.<p>I'm no music critic, obviously. But I believe a more accurate label than "hard rock" (according to what I've heard today) would be "heavy metal."<p>Heavy metal tells you a lot more than "1980s hard- rock band", which could possibly cover many contrasting bands.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:27 am 

Scribe, you don't live in a shell, but you're right, music isn't your forte. Great White isn't a well-known band, but that general era and genre (typified, perhaps by Guns N' Roses) should ring a bell. It's not heavy metal.<p>The way it was written originally conveys what it needs to. (And its Grammy nomination was in 1990 (reflecting, of course, an '80s release).)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:59 am 

I'm a victim of TV reporting. I heard it reported that the band was heavy metal and that they were nominated for a Grammy in the 1980s.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]