Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Travails of the filthy rich
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:07 am 

"NEW YORK (Reuters) - It's not easy being a billionaire, and with the world mired in an economic slump, it has gotten even tougher, Forbes business magazine said on Thursday. "<p>Let's pass the hat.<p>[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: Tim Hathcock ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Travails of the filthy rich
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:41 am 

It should go without saying here that the "Forbes list" of rich people is even farther down the "news" scale than Time magazine's "Person of the Year." Most of the figures are conjecture anyhow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:03 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
It should go without saying here that the "Forbes list" of rich people is even farther down the "news" scale than Time magazine's "Person of the Year." Most of the figures are conjecture anyhow.<hr></blockquote><p>True enough, but it can provide some good entertainment. After CNN aired the Forbes non-story this morning, complete with a list of the top 5, they then turned to the weather lady. She asked, on the air and sincerely, "Who is that Buffett guy? Who's No. 2? I know I should know that. I thought at first it was Jimmy Buffett, but I knew that couldn't be right." A few moments later, she told us how much she loves "Margaritaville." With apologies to Dave Barry, I swear I am not making this up.<p>[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: Tim Hathcock ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:34 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tim Hathcock:
<p>"Who is that Buffett guy? Who's No. 2? I know I should know that. I thought at first it was Jimmy Buffett, but I knew that couldn't be right."
[February 28, 2003: Message edited by: Tim Hathcock ]
<hr></blockquote><p>It's of course Warren Buffett. He's gotten
stinking rich through all sorts of ways. Among
them is his ownership of the Buffalo News.
His nickel and diming ways are as outrageous
as they come. That paper is nowhere as good as it should be. Meantime it's one of the most profitable papers anywhere, despite circulating in a region that essentially missed the economic boom of the 1990s.<p>[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: jmcg ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:40 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jmcg:
<p>It's of course Warren Buffett. He's gotten
stinking rich through all sorts of ways. Among
them is his ownership of the Buffalo News.
His nickel and diming ways are as outrageous
as they come. That paper is nowhere as good as it should be. Meantime it's one of the most profitable papers anywhere, despite circulating in a region that essentially missed the economic boom of the 1990s.<p>[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: jmcg ]
<hr></blockquote><p>Sheesh.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:16 pm 

You also might want to mention that Buffett owns a substantial stake of this little outfit called the Washington Post Co.<p>I believe Warren and Jimmy are some sort of distant relatives.<p>I live in Omaha, he's our claim to fame. You should see the genuflecting when the shareholder meeting is held here every year.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]