Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Body Double
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:58 am 

CNN people speculated in the early morning hours, without any evidence whatsoever, that the Saddam Hussein who gave a speech on television after the U.S. attack was a double. OK, we don't take CNN seriously. But the New York Times writes:<p>The results of the strike on Baghdad were unclear. However, Iraqi television broadcast a speech by Mr. Hussein, who is believed to have a number of doubles, after the attack. He denounced "Junior Bush" and promised the Iraqi people a victory.<p>That's the extent of the suggestion and, like CNN, the Times gives no reason for making it. <p>The Washington Post reported:<p> In their first urgent review, U.S. analysts were said to be uncertain whether the man on the screen was in fact Hussein, or was speaking live. One official said the case against the broadcast's authenticity included that Hussein has several body doubles and his glasses looked nothing like the ones he normally wears. Though Hussein mentioned yesterday's date in the broadcast, that corresponded to Bush's ultimatum for war and could have been recorded. He said nothing specific about the bomb and missile strike. On the other hand, an official said, "the rhetoric is not unlike rhetoric he has used in other speeches."<p>So at least we know that an "official" planted the doubt. CNN and the Times might have mentioned that. (To CNN's "credit," a reporter in the Middle East did remark something to the effect that anyone who knows Hussein's voice could tell that the guy on TV was him.)<p>Let's question this stuff more closely. If it's the government that suspects it was a double, let's say so. Or, if there is no evidence to support the theory, let's leave it out. <p>It's a short stroll from a fake Saddam Hussein to another colossal blunder like the Iraqi soldiers ripping babies out of incubators in Kuwait in 1990.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Body Double
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:35 pm 

Now we're playing a little game. I'm not quite sure what the point is, but no one has presented anything other than speculation.
I never thought I would say this, but why not ask Dan Rather? Didn't he spend some time with Hussein recently?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:53 pm 

Come to think of it, I've never seen Bush wear that tie before. Hmm.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:26 am 

Maybe I am suffering from science shock-and-awe, but here is what I don't understand:<p>Couldn't they tell from a voiceprint whether that guy is Saddam, based on a comparison with tapes that we know is the real one?<p>And imagine...doubting someone is someone based on unusual eyeglasses.<p>[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:08 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
Maybe I am suffering from science shock-and-awe, but here is what I don't understand:<p>Couldn't they tell from a voiceprint whether that guy is Saddam, based on a comparison with tapes that we know is the real one?<p>And imagine...doubting someone is someone based on unusual eyeglasses.<p>[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]<hr></blockquote>
I believe they did voiceprint analysis, which led them to the conclusion that it was Saddam.<p>Update: We have just posted a story on the Web site about voiceprinting, and it confirms that the technology was used on both of Saddam's recent videos.<p>[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: SusanV ]</p>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]