Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Indian/Native American
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:16 pm 

What's the latest Testy Copy Editor verdict on using American Indian versus Native American? My 2000 AP guide says American Indian is preferable but wondered if newer versions say otherwise. Thanks for advice and counsel.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Indian/Native American
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:49 pm 

For what it's worth, the Washington Post stylebook says:<p>Indian<p>Either Indian or Native American may be used to describe the indigenous people of the Western Hemisphere. If there is a possibility of confusion with natives of India, use American Indian rather than Indian. Do not capitalize native on its own, as in native cultures. Similarly, Native Canadian may be used to describe Indians of Canada.<p>***I prefer "American Indian" but I don't get worked up over "Native American.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:50 pm 

Snews style is to use American Indian with exceptions for stated preferences.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:25 am 

Sometimes you can avoid the problem by identifying the person as a member of a specific tribe: Navaho, Sioux or whatever.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:02 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
For what it's worth, the Washington Post stylebook says:<p>[b]Indian<p>Either Indian or Native American may be used to describe the indigenous people of the Western Hemisphere. If there is a possibility of confusion with natives of India, use American Indian rather than Indian. Do not capitalize native on its own, as in native cultures. Similarly, Native Canadian may be used to describe Indians of Canada.<p>***I prefer "American Indian" but I don't get worked up over "Native American.***[/b]<hr></blockquote><p>Around these parts Indians call themselves Indians and, most often, so does Toronto Star. There is usually a tribal affiliation as in First Nations Indian. Indians that I have dealt with hate being called Native Canadian or Native American or Native North Amercian, especially those who live near the border and cross freely.
Quite often, a person's name will say it all when trying to figure out Indian origin as in the late Gaylord Powless, the world's greatest lacrosse player from Six Nations reserve or Talwinder Singh Parmar, the late Vancouver fundamentalist preacher and suspected terrorist.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:44 pm 

Thanks to all for your help re: native American/American Indian. Unfortunately, I'm not describing a person, but a facility (i.e. "The native American school offers classes in X, Y and Z.") We need to indicate the ethnicity of the school's population for the story concept to work. Thanks again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:22 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by majorbabs:
Thanks to all for your help re: native American/American Indian. Unfortunately, I'm not describing a person, but a facility (i.e. "The native American school offers classes in X, Y and Z.") We need to indicate the ethnicity of the school's population for the story concept to work. Thanks again.<hr></blockquote> Might be a little late now, but you could have said "The school for American Indians/whatever offers classes..."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:03 am 

Many major cities in the West have an Indian School Road. Oddly enough, you'll usually find the old Indian School on said road. Indian school, how simple.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]