Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: I don't get it.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:24 am 

As far as I know, there are no copy editors embedded with U.S. or British units in Iraq. (There probably should be, but that's another story.) If I were given the opportunity to cover the war, I probably would decline because of "family responsibilities," poor physical condition and general cowardice. But I cannot understand reporters bailing out after only a couple of weeks. What did they expect?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I don't get it.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:56 pm 

What's not to get. I suspect there's more than a few soldiers who, were they give the choice, would also opt out. <p>I have my doubts about this "embedded" bullshit anyway. Too many of the reports sound like the reporters are identifying too closely with the units they are accompanying and would just as soon pick up a rifle as their laptop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:03 pm 

I don't think any reporter was forced to take a war assignment. Anyone who did should have realized that wars are dangerous. <p>I don't have a problem with the "embedded" reporters as long as their circumstances are clearly explained and their reports are only part of the coverage. There is the danger of blowing minor incidents out of proportion just because a reporter happens to be there. (The rescue of a wounded woman from a bridge over the Euprhates today appears to be an example of that.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:41 pm 

From a story about reporter Matthew McAllester and photographer Moises Saman of Newsday, who are missing in Iraq:<p>McAllester and Saman told their bosses that the Iraqis gave them full press credentials on March 23. They had entered the country on limited tourist visas, but editors believed those visas allowed them to work as journalists in Iraq. (Chicago Tribune)<p>***What? Their editors thought it would be OK? What could they possibly have been thinking?***
---<p>Newsday journalists Matthew McAllester and Moises Saman, who had been missing in Iraq since last week, crossed the border into Jordan today and said they were safe and in good health. (Newsday)<p>***I'm glad they're safe and sound. (Now it doesn't seem so "crass" to ask about the visas.(***<p>[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:54 pm 

Has Jesse Jackson taken responsibility for them being found safe yet? I believe it was just yesterday he told the families he would get on that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:51 pm 

Here's an interesting commentary that touches on the subject blanp raises: click here

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]